Some interesting facts about Australia
For most people on the globe Australia is a far and enigmatic land. Everything here is upside down from plants to animals. It is one of the most unusual and exotic countries in the world. About 90% of Australian plants, 85% of animals, 45% of birds, 90% of fish are precinctive, meaning you will find them nowhere else in the world. Australia is also unique because it’s an only country in the world that occupies the entire continent. It happens because most of the land is deserts. A significant feature of modern Australian society is the representation of a lot of cultures drawn from many lands by its people. Here are some interesting facts about Down Under.
- Despite the fact that it’s the sixth large country in the world, Australia occupies the 52th by population size. 24 million people live here that is 2.66 persons per square kilometre.
- There are 3 times more sheep than people.
- According to statistics, one of four Australian inhabitants was born in other country.
- Over 60% of citizens live in the big cities: Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Perth.
- Canberra became the capital because Sydney and Melbourne couldn’t stop arguing which city should be the national capital.
- Aussies are the most law-abiding citizens in the world, in spite of the fact in the 18 and 19th century Australia was a place where criminals were sent from the UK.
- First police force was made up of 12 men who were chosen from the best behaved of the convicts.
- Australia is the most gambling nation in the world. Over 80% of adults make money bets on horses, sport, lottery or casino. You may find the best australian online casinos at morrock.com.
- The average Australian drinks 96 litres of beer per year.
- The most poisonous snake in the world taipan lives on this continent. It is considered one of the most deadly known snakes. The venom from one taipan’s bite is enough to kill 100 people.
- Air in Tasmania is the purest on our globe.
- This country was the second nation in the world to allow women to vote.
- There is the longest fence in the world. It is longer than the Chinese Wall. It’s 5,614 km long, and was built to keep dingoes away from fields.
- Kangaroos and emus are on the Australian coat of arms because they can’t walk backward. The Land of Oz is one of the only nations where the animals on the coat of arms can be eaten.
- If you visited one new beach here every day, it could take over 27 years to visit them all.
There are many more interesting facts concerning this fantastic country. It’s not for nothing that it’s called the Land of Oz. For all other human beings on our planet Australia is something from a fairy tale.